Wednesday 11 April 2018

Leaving my job and thinking about the future

My last day of work was March 16th.

I honestly don't enjoy going around and saying goodbye to people - it feels so serious and official. The good part was that getting married and moving back to the UK with Matt was a very legit (and honest) reason to quit, so I had a happy, well-honoured goodbye.
Nothing cringey and awkward like when everyone knows you're leaving because you hate it there and want to see them all burn in hell.

I had a lot of free time in my last few weeks at work. After I told my boss I would be leaving in January, he stopped assigning me much work, so I had a lot of time to ponder.

I am still (and probably always will be) somewhat lost and unsure of what to do with myself. I realized that so much of my twenties has been spent thinking about boys and my friends, and going out, listening to music and having fun. Now finally, I have at least my social and love lives figured out, and really need to focus more on developing some skills I can be proud of, and finding a career path to follow. It's a little embarrassing that I'm so behind on that front, certainly taking a (what will be) 5-year long "gap year/life" in Japan hasn't helped - but hey, I've definitely had enough great experiences here to know it wasn't a total waste of time.

The daunting thing is that many of my friends and family members who were in the same life-confusion boat as me when I left Japan, have really figured things out over the last few years. I am proud and excited for them - but I really do feel that I lack the "passion project" to push me into my own.

Trying to understand what I'm passionate about and what I should focus my energy on, remains one of my hardest challenges. I envy those who know their "thing" - I wish I knew mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I put so much time and nonsense in this blog. Thank you for commenting, even if it's trolling, it makes me feel special.